Monday, December 05, 2005

Democrat & Chronicle: Living: My life my words: Pam Finger

Democrat & Chronicle: Living: "It all began on Sept. 12 as a routine laproscopic gallbladder removal. I breezed through the pre-op procedures and the surgery, and I went home that evening in very little pain, looking forward to enjoying two weeks off from work to recover. Thirty-six hours later, I awoke in excruciating pain and begged my husband to drive me back to the surgeon's office.
After an exam and a series of tests, it was determined that I had developed a bile leak, which happens in less than 1 percent of cases. I was readmitted to the hospital and spent much of that week on a morphine pump. I was sent home after a week, only to be readmitted two days later with more pain. I had more tests and procedures and two tubes inserted in my side to help drain the bile, in all spending 16 days in the hospital. Each day I felt a little stronger, and I was able to return to work on a part-time basis on Oct. 24.
In many ways, I felt like I had lost a month of my life. I came out of the hospital disappointed to see people putting out their pumpkins and fall decorations while in my mind I was still ready to take one last summer swim. I've had much time to think over these past 12 weeks, and this is what I've learned.... "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home